Crab Apple Jelly
|Crab apples||5 Pound|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Sugar||To Taste (as needed)|
|Vanilla||1 Teaspoon (optional)|
1. Remove blossom ends and stems of apples; cut into half.
2. In a large kettle, place apples and pour water just to cover; cook until apples are very tender.
3. Into a jelly bag, pour the cooked apples and extract juice; do not force or squeeze to extract juice.
4. Into the kettle, measure and pour juice; add 3/4th cup sugar for every one cup of juice and bring it to broiling over high heat.
5. Quickly boil to jellying state.
6. Remove kettle from heat; skim and stir in vanilla, if desired.
7. Into hot sterilized jars, pour jelly leaving 1/8 inch empty on top of the jar.
8. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
9. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for about 5 minutes; start noting processing time after water in the canner returns to boiling.
10. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
11. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
12. Alternately, hot mixture can be poured into sterilized jelly glasses leaving ½ inch on top.
13. Immediately pour melted paraffin to cover 1/8 inch of bottle.
14. Serve Crab Apple Jelly as relish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1742 Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.5%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 23.1 mg1%
Total Carbohydrates 454 g151.4%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 9 g18.1%
Vitamin A 18.1% Vitamin C 302.4%
Calcium 40.9% Iron 45.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet