|Grapefruit||2 Pound (2 Pieces, 900 Gram)|
|Lemons||2 Pound (3 Pieces, 900 Gram)|
|Water||4 1⁄2 Pint (6 Liters)|
|Sugar||3 Pound (1.4 Kilogram)|
|Seville oranges||2 Pound (900 Gram)|
|Lemons/1 teaspoon citric / tartaric acid||2 , juiced|
1. Using a paring knife, score the fruit and soak in boiling waster. Drain the fruit in a colander.
2. Peel the fruit and free the rind of the pith.
3. Finely shred the peel and roughly chop the fruit.
4. Preheat the oven to 225°F/ 110°C/ Gas ¼
5. Add sugar to a bowl and place in the oven to warm
6. Ready 3-4 preserve or coffee jars with tight fitting, vinegar proof lids. The jars should be clean and dry. Place in the oven to warm and sterilize them.
7. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add chopped fruit, 2 ½ liters of water and lemon juice or citric acid.
8. Place the pan on a medium flame, cover and simmer till for 2 hours
9. At the same time, in another sauce pan, add the shredded rind with 1 pint water, cover the pan and simmer on a low flame for 1 ½ hours until the peel is soft.
10. Drain the rind, discard the water and keep aside.
11. All the pulp to drip through a jelly bag or fine nylon sieve, without squeezing the pulp, so that you get a clear jelly.
12. Return the clear liquid to a large saucepan and add the warm sugar. Simmer the liquid on a low flame, stirring continuously till the sugar dissolves.
13. Once sugar has dissolved, add the shredded rind, increase heat and boil rapidly for 25-30 minutes till setting point is reached.
14. Using a metal spoon, skim off the scum from the surface.
15. Allow the jelly to cool for 5-10 minutes before potting.
16. Pour the viscous liquid into the warm jars till the brim. Cover jars with waxed paper discs, waxed-side down.
17. When the jelly has cooled and set, put on the lids and close tightly.
18. Label the jars with name and date of making.
19. Store in a cool dry area like your pantry.
20. You can use the jelly as an accompaniment to duck, a topping, spread or as a filling for desserts.
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 3
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.38 g0.59%
Saturated Fat 0.03 g0.13%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1.5 mg0.1%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.1%
Sugars 69.3 g
Protein 1 g2.9%
Vitamin A 2.7% Vitamin C 93.6%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 2.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet