This particular Japanese style breakfast is one of the simplest to make. In fact, I make this whenever I need a quick snack. This is natto gohan.
Natto is fermented soybeans which, like miso, are rich in protein. They are, however, an acquired taste since they have a powerful smell and slimy consistency. If you like stinky cheese, It's nothing you haven't experienced before and I highly recommend you try it.
1. Take the Natto boxes, open them and set aside the 2 sauce packets from the boxes.
2. Peel the white sheet of paper from the fermented soybeans and discard. Now take the two sauce packets, cut them open and add them each to the fermented soybean boxes. Mix until well combined.
3. In a medium sized bowl, add the steamed rice. Take the mixed natto or fermented soybeans and add them to one side of the steamed rice.
4. Make a small well in the heap of rice and break open one egg in that.
5. Garnish the egg, rice and natto with furikake and drizzle some soy sauce.
6. Serve this Natto gohan as it is or mixed and garnished with some more furikake and chopped green onions.
Natto gohan can be enjoyed on its own or with a nice bowl of miso soup.