|Saba mackerel fillet||1 , cut into two|
|Bell pepper||1 , seeded, quartered|
|Shiraganegi||1 , shredded finely (White part of a Long Green Onion)|
|Miso||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Ginger root||3 Small (3 slices)|
|Green onion stalks||10 Centimeter (Green part of Long Green Onion)|
1. Remove the small bone from the mackerel fillet. Make a diagonal cut over the fillet.
2. In a big bowl, take water and bring it to a boil. Add a little cold water and bring it just below the boiling point.
3. Put the mackerel into the hot water with the help of a strainer.
4. When the mackerel turns white, remove and put it into ice water. Repeat the same process with other piece of mackerel.
5. Rub the surface of the mackerel with your finger and remove the extra moisture with the paper towel.
6. In a pan, add the water, sake, sugar and mirin.
7. Slowly, dissolve half of the miso into the water mixture with the help of a spoon and bring it to a boil.
8. Place the fillet in the miso sauce with the skin side facing up. Bring the sauce to the boil and remove the foam with a strainer.
9. Add the ginger root and green part of the long green onion to the sauce.
10. Cover the fillet and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
11. Uncover the fillet and remove the green onion. Pour a little sauce from the pan into the bowl of remaining miso and mix it evenly into the boiling sauce.
12. Add the sliced bell pepper and cover the fillet. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
13. Remove the bell pepper and place the fillet on a plate.
14. Put the bell pepper along with the mackerel on the plate. Pour the sauce over the fillet.
15. Garnish the dish with shredded white part of long green onion before serving.
16. Serve the dish with steamed white rice.
Calories 284 Calories from Fat 89
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.3%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 379.4 mg15.8%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.4%
Sugars 13.4 g
Protein 13 g26.6%
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 109.7%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet