Koinobori Spring Rolls (Egg Rolls)
|Spring roll pastry||10|
|Pork||100 Gram, thinly sliced|
|Green pepper||1 Small|
|Bamboo shoot||80 Gram (takenoko)|
|Shitake mushrooms||2 , dried|
|Cooking oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Water/Chicken stock||3 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Katakuriko||1 Tablespoon (mixed with 2 tablespoons of water)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for frying)|
|Carrot||20 Gram, boiled (cut in star shape)|
|Green beans||10 Gram, boiled|
|American cheese slice||1|
1.Thinly slice the pork and the vegetables.
2.Season the pork with salt and pepper.
2. In a frying pan, heat cooking oil and saute the pork.
3. When the pork starts to change color, add carrots, bamboo shoots, green peppers, shiitake mushrooms, and cabbage in the said order.
4. Cook until softened and season with sake, sugar, soy sauce and water. Turn off the heat.
5. In a bowl, add katakuriko (starch) with water and mix well.
6. Pour the starch mixture in the sauce and heat again to thicken the sauce.
7. Season with sesame oil. Stop the heat and leave it to cool completely.
8. Divide the filling into 10 portions.
9. Place 1 portion of the filling about 2 inches above the bottom corner of the spring roll pastry. Roll the wrapper half-way.
10. Fold both sides in toward the center and continue to roll as shown in the video. Spread a small amount of the mixture of flour and water on the tip to seal.
11. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan to 140C (284F).
12. Dip 5 (or maybe all if you have a large pan) spring rolls and fry them slowly until golden brown and crisp, stirring occasionally.
13. For Decoration: Place the boiled green beans, the boiled star-shaped carrot and the spring rolls on a plate as shown in the video.
14. Cut out the sliced American cheese and Nori sheet to make the eyes. Draw fish scales with ketchup.
15. Serve right away.
If you want a dipping sauce, you can mix soy sauce and Japanese mustard (Karashi) together and serve with the spring rolls.