How To Make Delicious And Crispy Japanese Chive Gyoza Dumplings
|Dumpling wraps||30 Medium|
|For the vegetables|
|Cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Chives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely|
|Enoki mushrooms/Shiitake mushrooms||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|For the meat|
|Ground pork||100 Gram|
|Ground beef||100 Gram|
|For seasoning the meat|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Powdered chicken stock||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Other spices for the filling|
|Onion||1⁄4 Medium, chopped, sauteed and cooled|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Ginger||1 Inch, chopped finely (Same amount used as garlic)|
|For cooking the dumplings|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed for dusting the bottom of the dumplings)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Just enough to cover the meat part of the dumplings)|
1. Into a large mixing bowl, add all the finely chopped vegetables with a pinch of salt. Mix well.
2. Let is stand for about 10 minutes. Then, squeeze out all the moisture out of them.
3. In another bowl,mix ground pork and beef with a pinch of salt. Season with soy sauce, sake, sesame oil and powdered chicken stock.
4. In a heated pan, saute onions and set aside to cool.
5. In a large bowl, mix the vegetables, meat and spices (along with the sauteed and cooled onions) together to make the filling for the dumplings.
6. Cover and refrigerate for 30 - 60 minutes.
7. After about an hour, take the dumpling filling out of the refrigerator. Take each dumpling wrap, wet the edges with water.
8. Spoon a small portion of the filling in the center of the wrap and seal the edges to form an accordion shape as shown in the video.
9. Once all the dumplings are shaped in the same way, heat a pan with sesame oil.
10. Touch the bottom of each dumpling in flour and place them with the flour side down on the hot oil, fry until the bottom turns golden brown.
11. Pour water just enough to cover the meat part of the dumplings. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 10 - 15 minutes.
12. When you see the water bubbling around the dumplings, reduce the heat.
13. Cook until all the bubbly liquid disappears.
14. Serve with a soy sauce and rice vinegar dip.
You may substitute the pork and beef with chicken, if desired.
Calories 129 Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.8%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 12.1 mg4%
Sodium 347.6 mg14.5%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.7 g2.8%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 5 g9.9%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C 4.9%
Calcium 0.6% Iron 1.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet