Cool Sushi Roll
|Nori sheets||4 Large|
|Sushi rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked|
|Cucumber||1 Large, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchstick-size pieces|
|Avocado||2 Medium, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces|
|Crab sticks||4 Large, cut into strips|
|Wasabi||2 Tablespoon (for serving) (Optional)|
|Pickled ginger||2 Tablespoon (for serving) (Optional)|
|Light soy sauce||2 Tablespoon (for serving) (Optional)|
1. Lay 1 nori sheet, shiny side down, on the sushi mat.
2. Wet your fingers with water and spread about 1/4 cup of the rice evenly onto the nori.
3. Sprinkle the tobiko evenly over the rice. Turn the sheet of nori over so that the rice side is down.
4. Place 1/4 of the cucumber, avocado and crab sticks in the center of the sheet.
5. Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, then use the sushi mat and squeeze very gently to shape the cylinder. Pull away the mat.
6. Repeat with remaining nori sheets.
7. Cut each roll into 4-6 pieces.
8. Arrange on a platter and serve with wasabi or ginger-soy sauce.
To make the sushi rice:
You will need 2 cups sushi or short grain rice, 2 cups water, plus extra for rinsing rice, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Place the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature before using to make sushi or sashimi.
Calories 395 Calories from Fat 134
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.4%
Saturated Fat 2 g10%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.7 mg4.9%
Sodium 392.6 mg16.4%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.8%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.6%
Sugars 2.3 g
Protein 11 g22.1%
Vitamin A 6.9% Vitamin C 21.6%
Calcium 2.8% Iron 5.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet