Summer Sushi Roll
|Nori sheets||4 Large|
|Sushi rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Avocado||2 Medium, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces|
|Cucumber||1 Large, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchstick-size pieces|
|Pickled ginger||2 Tablespoon (for serving) (Optional)|
|Wasabi||2 Tablespoon (for serving) (Optional)|
|Light soy sauce||2 Tablespoon (Leveled) (for serving) (Optional)|
1. Cut nori sheets in half crosswise. Lay 1/2 of the nori sheet, shiny side down, on the sushi mat.
2. Spread the cooked and prepared sushi rice with a rice paddle or with wet fingers.
3. Slide your nori sheet vertically, to allow for easy rolling later.
4. Add 1/2 teaspoon of tobiko, avocado and sliced cucumber sticks, horizontally, in the center of the sheet.
5. Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and start rolling into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder. Once you reach the end, tighten the roll with your fingers and then roll off the mat.
6. Repeat with remaining nori sheets to make more rolls.
7. Serve the mini rolls whole or using a sharp knife dipped in hot water,trim and discard the ends, then cut the roll into 1cm (½in) thick pieces.
8. Serve with soy sauce, pink pickled ginger and wasabi.
9. The sushi can be made several hours in advance, left whole, wrapped in cling film and left in a cool place until needed, but do eat on the day of making.
8. Serve with Japanese soy sauce, wasabi paste (hot green horseradish)or pink pickled ginger if you like.
To make the sushi rice:
You will need 2 cups sushi or short grain rice, 2 cups water, plus extra for rinsing rice, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Place the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Swirl the rice in the water, pour off and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature before using to make sushi or sashimi.
Calories 671 Calories from Fat 227
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.6%
Saturated Fat 4 g20%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29.4 mg9.8%
Sodium 592.3 mg24.7%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g32.1%
Dietary Fiber 13.8 g55.3%
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 14 g27.4%
Vitamin A 13.7% Vitamin C 43.3%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 10.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet