New Year Kohaku Namasu
30g Carrot (1.06 oz)
1 tsp Salt
2 Dried Perssimons
Yuzu Citrus Peel
- Awasezu (Vinegar Mixture) -
½ tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Honey
1 tbsp Vinegar
1 tbsp Yuzu Juice
2 tbsp Water
1) Cut the daikon radish into 2 inch cylinders and peel the skin with a knife. Slice it into thin strips.
2) Put the Daikon into a bowl.
3) Slice the carrots into thin slices and add to the bowl.
4) Add the salt and toss gently. Set aside for 10 minutes.
5) Shred the yuzu peel into thin strips and remove the juice.
6) For making the vinegar mixture, combine the sugar, honey, vinegar, yuzu juice and water. Mix well to dissolve the sugar and honey in the liquid.
7) Squeeze the excess liquid from the sliced daikon and carrot and place it in the vinegar mixture. Add the yuzu peel and toss to coat evenly.
8) Press the vegetables into the bowl with the spatula, for soaking the vinegar mixture.
9) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
10) Remove the stem of dried persimmon and chop it into thin strips.
11) Add the persimmon to the vegetables.
12) Serve immediately.