Traditional Japanese Beef Sukiyaki
1. Cut yaki-dofu into bite sized pieces.
2. Boil musubi shirataki 2-3 minutes in order to remove dirt.
3. Remove stems and decorative cut shiitake mushrooms.
4. Slice long green onion diagonally into 7cm (2.5inches) pieces.
5. Cut chikuwabu diagonally into bite-sized pieces.
6. Separate shungiku leaves and stalks, cut leaves into bite-sized pieces and cut stalks diagonally.
7. Melt beef fat in Nabe (large casserole pan or hot pot vessel) and swirl around to oil the entire base.
8. Cook few slices of long green onion, shiitake scraps, and shungiku stalks. Add beef, sprinkle a bit of sugar and sake from warishita seasonings.
9. Cover and steam until half-cooked (about 3 minutes on medium). Then remove the beef and set aside.
10. Add the rest of warishita (sukiyaki sauce) seasonings and vegetables, and simmer until almost done, about 5 minutes on medium.
11. Return the beef and simmer until everything is done, about 5 minutes on medium.
12. If desired, dip sukiyaki into beaten fresh raw eggs to eat!
13. You can add udon if desired. It goes great with Sukiyaki!
The next day, you can simmer the leftover broth with beaten eggs and make rice bowls. yummy!!!