Japanese Purin in the Microwave
To make the Caramel Sauce for the pudding.
1. Combine sugar and water in a microwavable glass bowl. Heat it (uncovered) at 500w for 2-3 minutes until it melts and turns brown. The cooking time depends on the microwave even the wattage is the same, so mine was about 2.5 minutes. please watch out after 2 minutes.
2. Quickly mix hot water, spoon it into center of each microwavable glass dish, and set aside.
To make the Custard Pudding:
3. Combine egg and sugar, add milk and vanilla extract, and beat well.
4. Strain and pour on top of the caramel.
5. Put the pudding cups in a microwavable container with water. Make sure water is filled up to the level of the pudding and does not spill over into the pudding. Then cover the whole thing with a plastic wrap.
6. Microwave at 500w for 5-7 minutes, until it begins to bubble. My cooking time was 7 minutes but please watch out after 5 minutes since the cooking time depends of the microwave even if the wattage is the same.
7. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes.
8. Serve the Custard Pudding warm or put in the fridge, to serve cold.