Valentines Day is coming and this Matcha Toast Crunch is definitely something you and your Valentine are sure to enjoy. Best of all, it's elegant and easy to make. We combine the best of 3 great things in one recipe; the simplicity of French toast, the decadence of tres leches and the experience of cracking that caramelized sugar crust of a creme brulee. This is a triple threat that's sure please.
Half and half
Matcha green tea powder
Sweetened condensed milk
1⁄2 Can (5 oz)
Texas style bread slices
4 Tablespoon (2 Tablespoons per slice)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As required)
1. In a large mixing bowl with half and half and about 2 teaspoons of matcha green tea powder. Whisk them together until well combined.
2. Add about 1/2 a can of sweetened condensed milk. Continue whisking till the ingredients are well combined and set aside.
3. Take two thick slices of bread (Texas toasts), and spread about 2 tablespoons of butter on each toast. Pop them under the broiler till the edges turn brown.
4. When the bread is ready, dip the slices butter side down in a plate of sugar. Sprinkle more sugar to coat the bread evenly.
5. Use a chef;s torch and and slowly cook the sugar layer until evenly browned. If you don’t have a torch, pop your sugar toast back under the broiler to brown.
6. In a serving plate pour a generous pool of the green tea milk and place the toast right on top. Sprinkle some of the matcha powder on top.
7. Serve immediately.
The browned toasts can be cut into heart shapes and the matcha green tea powder can be sprinkled using a heart shaped stencil.