Japanese New Year's Soup - Ozoni
|Dashi stock||1 Liter|
|Sliced carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Daikon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Boneless skinless chicken thighs||2 , cut into small bite size pieces|
|Mochi||50 Gram, cubed (Cut into 8 cubes)|
|Snow pea||50 Gram (8 pieces)|
|Enoki mushroom||45 Gram (4 medium shiitake mushrooms can be used as an alternative)|
|Napa cabbage||50 Gram, cut into bite size pieces|
|Light soy sauce/Soy sauce||1 Dash (usukuchi)|
|Lemon zest||1 Dash|
1. Take about 8 cubes of mochi and put them under the broiler turning sides frequently until they turn golden brown in color.
2. Take a medium saucepan and heat up a liter of dashi stock and add to it the thinly sliced carrots and daikon. Cook for a couple of minutes covered.
3. Add two boneless and skinless chicken thigh pieces. Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
4. When the chicken is done add the snow peas, napa cabbage and enoki mushrooms and continue to cook covered until the cabbage is wilted and the peas are bright green in color. This will be done in a minute.
5. Finally season with some usukuchi or soy sauce and salt to taste.
6. Take a serving bowl and throw in the small bit of lemon zest at the bottom and spoon into the bowl the soup along with the vegetables.
7. Finally add the roasted mochi cubes on top allowing half of each cube to remain above the surface of the soup.
8. Serve warm.
Calories 108 Calories from Fat 24
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.1%
Saturated Fat 0.66 g3.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 24 mg8%
Sodium 386.8 mg16.1%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.3%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 10 g19.1%
Vitamin A 36.4% Vitamin C 26.3%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 4.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet