|Chicken thighs||2 Medium, cut into 1-inch pieces (Boneless, skinless)|
|Udon noodles||1 Packet (Frozen udon noodles used)|
|Green onions||4 Medium, cut into 1-inch pieces (Green part minced)|
|Cooking oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For the chicken sauce|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|For the soup base|
|Dashi||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For the garnish|
|Eggs||1 Medium, halved (Hard boiled or soft boiled)|
|Bonito||1 Pinch (Bonito flakes used)|
1. In two small bowls make two separate portions of the soup base mixture with equal proportions of soy sauce, mirin and sugar. One portion would be used as a sauce for the chicken. And the other is to be mixed with dashi and used as a soup base.
2. In a pan heat up some oil on high heat and add the chicken and white part of the green onions cut pieces in. Let the chicken brown on both sides.
3. When the chicken is browned, add about 100 ml of water to the pan and put a lid on it. The steam will cook the chicken through. Leave it covered for 3 or 4 minutes until the meat is firm and opaque.
4. Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling water pop the noodles to boil. The udon noodles take only a 3 minutes or so to cook from frozen once the water is boiling again. Once done drain and rinse it in cold water and set aside.
5. Once the chicken is done, take the lid off the let the rest of the water evaporate. Then turn the heat down to medium and add the sauce. Toss the chicken around in the pan to take in the flavor. The sauce should thicken right away. Once the sauce is thick and ‘saucy’, take the pan off the heat and set it aside.
6. Take a saucepan and add the second portion of the prepared base mixed with dashi and warm it gently. To this add the drained and rinsed udon noodles and warm it.
7. Into a large serving bowl, a finger nail size of lemon zest can be put in first and then pour the soup base along with the udon noodles. To this add the prepared chicken. Garnish with bonito flakes and halved hard or soft boiled eggs.
8. Serve warm.
Calories 626 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.2%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.9%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 155.9 mg52%
Sodium 2328.7 mg97%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.9%
Sugars 19.9 g
Protein 30 g60.2%
Vitamin A 22.3% Vitamin C 18.2%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 10.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet