Spiced Tempura Parsley
|Flat leaf parsley||2 1⁄4 Bunch (225 gm) (2 large bunches)|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ice water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Corn oil||1 Quart|
1) Rinse the parsley bunches in cold water. Thoroughly dry with paper towel and separate into large sprigs.
2) In a medium bowl, add curry, cumin, cayenne, salt, black pepper and flour to combine.
3) Stir in ice water, until the batter is just blended with small lumps. Avoid over-mixing the batter.
4) In a large heavy saucepan, add oil to heat up over moderately high heat until it reaches 375°.
5) Lower the heat to moderate.
6) Dip 3 or 4 parsley sprigs at a time into the tempura batter, and put in the hot oil.
7) Fry the tempura for about 15 seconds or until golden brown on all sides.
8) Transfer on paper towels to soak extra oil. Repeat with the remaining parsley.
9) Serve hot and pass a bowl of ketchup on side, if desired.