Quick Seared Bonito Sashimi
|Bonito/Tuna fillets with skin||2 Pound (900 Grams)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Grated daikon/White radish||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly grated ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Green onions||5 , chopped|
|Orange juice/Lemon juice||4 Tablespoon (Of 1 Orange)|
|Hot yellow mustard||2 Tablespoon (Karashi / Any Other, Not Too Sweet Or Vinegary)|
|For dipping sauce|
|Soy sauce||6 Tablespoon|
|Rice vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice/1/2 tablespoon lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Leek||1 , cut into 2-inch long julienne strips (For Garnishing)|
|Cucumber||1 , sliced into thin julienne strips (For Garnishing)|
|Orange/Lemon||1 , thinly sliced (For Garnishing)|
1. Cut garlic in half. Rub surface of fish with cut side of garlic. Lightly sprinkle fish with salt.
2. Skewer fillet with 4 round metal skewers so that blunt ends of skewers can be held in one hand and skewers fan out into fish. Pass fillet lightly over high open flame one side at a time until red flesh on surface turns white and skin is singed. Maneuver fillet and concentrate heat on portions of flesh and skin that have not turned white or have not been singed until all flesh and skin have been uniformly heated. (This searing protects' the flavor.)
3. Plunge immediately in cold water for 30 to 60 seconds. Remove skewers in a slow twisting motion to prevent fillet from breaking. Remove fish from water and pat dry.
4. Mix grated daikon, grated ginger, and chopped green onion with pinch salt. Set half of mixture aside for later use. Pat remaining mixture onto flesh side of fish using broad side of a knife. Sprinkle juice from one orange or lemon over fillet and wrap securely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow fish to cool and absorb flavors.
5. While fish is cooling, combine DIPPING SAUCE ingredients. Prepare GARNISHES.
6. Wipe away daikon mixture with your hand and discard. Using a very sharp knife, cut bonito into 1/2-inch (1 1/2-cm) thick diagonal slices by pulling knife toward you in one long, continuous motion while applying a slight downward pressure.
7. Sprinkle reserved daikon mixture over fish. Arrange sashimi on decorative beds of leek and cucumber. Garnish with orange or lemon slices. Serve with small saucers of dipping sauce and add yellow mustard to taste.