Beef Tartar Japanese Style
|Sirloin tip/Lean round steak, 1 1/2 inches thick||14 Ounce (400 gram, high quality)|
|Grated daikon/White radish / turnip||1 Cup (16 tbs) (radish)|
|For dipping sauce|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Onion||1⁄3 , finely grated|
|Soy sauce||5 Tablespoon|
|Wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Cucumber||1⁄2 (for garnish)|
|Carrot||1⁄2 (for garnish)|
|Celery rib||1 (for garnish)|
|Lettuce leaves||6 (for garnish)|
To prepare and cook
1. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a skillet heat oil over high heat. Sear beef for 30 seconds on each side until just browned.
2. Pour sake or brandy over all and ignite. When flame dies away, remove meat from heat. The outside will be nicely browned and the inside raw. Cool.
3. Seal in plastic wrap and refrigerate until just chilled or for as long as 2 days, according to taste.
4. While meat is cooling, prepare vegetables. Peel and seed cucumber. Peel carrot. Shred. (These will become a decorative bed for the meat.) Soak each vegetable separately in cold water until ready to use.
5. Dice and mash garlic, and combine with remaining DIPPING SAUCE ingredients.