Classic Chicken Teriyaki With Turnip Chrysanthemums
|Boned chicken||1 1⁄2 Pound (Thighs Or Breasts)|
|Soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Ginger juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Rice vinegar||4 Tablespoon|
|Dried red pepper||1 Small|
1. Prepare optional TURNIP CHRYSANTHEMUM at least 2 or 3 hours in advance.
2. Score chicken in several places so it will lay flat. Pierce both sides of chicken with a fork for better flavor absorption. Mix MARINADE ingredients, add chicken, and set aside for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Heat oil in skillet until hot. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook over medium heat until skin is crisp and brown. Turn, cover, and reduce to low heat for about 10 minutes. Test chicken by piercing with a fork. When meat is tender and juices are clear, remove meat from pan.
4. To a clean skillet add sugar, mirin, and reserved marinade. Bring quickly to a boil. Add chicken to skillet, flesh side down, for 1 minute and then turn. Wait 30 seconds and turn again. Remove from pan.
5. Cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) wide slices and arrange on a serving platter. Pour remaining juices over chicken, garnish with turnip chrysanthemums, and serve.