Stuffed Cabbage Japanese Style
|Cabbage leaves||5 (Either Round Or Chinese Cabbage)|
|Shiitake mushrooms||4 , dried|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bonito||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Bonito||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
1. Soak mushrooms in warm water until soft (about 1 hour), keeping them submerged by covering with drop-lid, flat pan lid, or saucer.
2. Prepare a total of 3 cups bonito stock.
3. Blanch 4 cabbage leaves for 1 or 2 minutes in boiling water. (Reserve fifth leaf until later.) Drain and cool. On the outside bottom third of each leaf, pare off a bit of the thick vein in the center to make rolling easier later on. Lightly sprinkle inside surface of leaves with flour.
4. Drain mushrooms. Peel carrot. Finely dice carrot and mushrooms. Combine with SIMMERING LIQUID A. Simmer until liquid is nearly absorbed. Cool.
5. Blanch green beans 1 or 2 minutes. Drain and thinly slice diagonally.
6. Wrap tofu in cheesecloth, twist ends, and gently compress by hand to squeeze out excess moisture. Whir in a blender or food processor for 5 seconds. Add ingredients for TOFU MIXTURE. Whir until a smooth paste is formed (about 5 seconds). Transfer tofu mixture to bowl and stir in well-drained carrot, mushrooms, and green beans. Mix in egg.
To cook and serve
1. Place a portion of tofu mixture in the center of each blanched leaf. Fold bottom of leaf over mixture, then fold sides inward and roll up. Secure with toothpicks.
2. Place the fifth cabbage leaf on the bottom of saucepan to prevent rolls from sticking. Place cabbage rolls in saucepan, seam side down. Add SIMMERING LIQUID B. Cover with pan lid and simmer over medium heat until liquid is nearly absorbed (about 15 minutes).
3. Remove cabbage rolls and cool slightly. Serve whole or cut into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) pieces. Arrange cut side up on a small serving platter. To remaining liquid in the pan, add small amount of cornstarch mixed with water. Stir over medium heat until liquid thickens. Spoon a little sauce over cabbage rolls. Sprinkle on ginger juice and serve.