Easy Lacy Shrimp Tempura
|Raw shrimp||2 Pound|
|All-purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Fat||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As Required For Deep Frying)|
|Cornstarch||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Monosodium glutamate||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), cold|
|Egg yolks||1 , slightly beaten|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
1. Prepare the shrimps first; shell them leaving the tails on.
2. Lengthwise cut the back, remove vein and flatten to look like a butterfly.
3. Lightly slash underside diagonally to prevent curling.
4. Dredge the shrimps in 3/4 cup of flour.
5. Sift the remaining flour with cornstarch, salt, and monosodium glutamate to combine.
6. In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and stir in the flour mixture; mix only until blended.
7. In a skillet, heat fat to 365° F.
8. Using fingers and working rapidly, sprinkle batter several times on hot fat to form a lacy "network."
9. Holding the shrimp by the tail, dip into batter and lay carefully over the lace.
10. Drizzle additional batter over top to cover.
11. Let the shrimp fry for about 1 minute on each side until very lightly browned.
12. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
13. Serve immediately with seasoned soy sauce.