|String beans||12 (Long)|
|Vegetable oil/Preferably, 3 cups vegetable oil and 1 cup sesame seed oil||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Tempura batter||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Tempura sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. Insert the small blade of a pair of scissors under the shell of each raw shrimp. Starting at the head portion, cut down to, but not through, the last tail segment.
2. Peel the shrimp, leaving the tail segment intact. Cut off the lower half of the tails. Split the peeled shrimp down the backs and rinse under cold running water to remove sand and intestinal tract.
3. Using a sharp knife, make shallow cuts across the underside of each shrimp in three equidistant places. This permits "straightening" the shrimp lengthwise.
4. Cut the flounder into small sections measuring about two by three inches. Remove the tentacles from the squid and peel off the outer and inner skins. Cut into square bite-sized pieces. Cut the scallops into quarters.
5. Cut the carrot into one-eighth-inch-thick slices. Cut string beans into three-inch lengths. Peel the sweet potato and cut into one-eighth-inch-thick slices and cut each slice into quarters.
6. Dry all the seafood and vegetables well between clean cloths or absorbent toweling.
7. Using a deep-fry kettle or thermometer or electric skillet, heat the oil to 375° F. This temperature must be maintained for the entire frying process. Hold shrimp by the tail, dip into the batter and gently drop, one at a time, into the hot fat. Deep fry a few shrimp at a time until the batter is golden brown, or about thirty seconds to one minute. Dip the flounder in the batter and cook the same length of time. Continue with remaining seafood and vegetables.
8. Remove the deep-fried foods, as they are cooked, to paper napkins or other absorbent toweling to drain briefly. To eat tempura, the fried food should be dipped in tempura sauce.