Part 2 - How to Make 3 Types of Sushi Rolls
|For cooking the rice|
|Sushi rice/Medium grain rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Shari or sushi-meshi)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For seasoning the rice|
|Sushi vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Sushi seasoning)|
|For the tuna mix|
|Tuna||12 Ounce (A big can of tuna used)|
|Japanese mayonnaise||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As needed)|
|Carrots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely diced|
|Other ingredients for the sushi rolls|
|Avocado||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cut into strips 2 inches long|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into strips|
|Pickled radish (danmooji)||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cut into strips 2 inches long|
To cook the rice:
1. Wash and rinse rice well.
2. In a rice cooker, add 2 cups water for 2 cups rice and cook. You may also cook rice in a regular pot, bringing it to boil over medium heat, stirring with a spoon.
3. After 7 minutes, turn the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid and steam the rice for another 10 minutes. Set aside.
4. Take a large bowl with the cooked rice. Season the rice with sushi vinegar, using a flat ladle mix well to incorporate the vinegar in the rice evenly.
5. In another bowl with tuna, add Japanese mayonnaise, carrots, onions, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine everything well.
To prepare the triangular-shaped sushi rolls:
6. Place the nori sheet (cut into half) on the table, with the shiny side down. Place the triangular mold on the top half of the nori sheet.
7. Spoon in the seasoned rice to fill half the mold. Top it with about 3/4 tbsp of the prepared tuna mix followed by rice again to fill up the mold. Press it down with lid of the mold tightly and remove the mold.
8. Fold the edges of the nori sheet, sealing the edges with rice and water as shown in the video.
To prepare the hand rolls (California rolls):
9. Place one half of the nori sheet on the table.
10. Spoon some of the seasoned rice and spread it to cover one half of the seaweed sheet.
11. Place a strip of avocado, a couple of strips of carrots and a strip of pickled radish topped with a squeeze of mayonnaise.
12. Hold the seaweed sheet in your hand, roll from one end into a cone as shown in the video.
To prepare the futomaki:
13. Place a whole sheet of nori, over a bamboo mat on the table.
14. Spoon the seasoned rice and spread it on the bottom half of the sheet. (If you prefer a bigger roll, spread the rice 3/4 up the seaweed sheet)
15. Put a line of mayonnaise across the center of the rice topped with one line of carrot strips, one line of pickled radish strips and a line of avocado strips.
16. Start rolling from the bottom edge upwards, holding the filling with your finger, completing the roll. Hold it for a couple of seconds to tighten the roll well.
17. You may prepare similar futomaki rolls with the tuna mix as a filling as well.
18. Before you cut the futomaki into small rolls, take a sharp long knife, dip it in a bowl of warm water and wet the edge of the knife, and cut the rolls. (Cut the long roll in half and then in half again to get small individual sushi rolls)
19. Wipe the edge of the knife, each time after cutting the roll.
20. Using your knife, lift them up careful and place them into a serving tray.
21. Serve as a snack with tea or as an appetizer for gatherings or parties. The triangular-shaped sushi rolls serves best in lunch boxes.
When preparing the hand rolls, you may use fresh salmon, mayonnaise, egg roe and crab extenders too.
When preparing the futomaki, you may substitute with other ingredients like - fresh salmon, fresh tuna, lettuce, cucumber, crab meat, chicken teriyaki or any other ingredient of your choice.
2. Bamboo mat
3. Bowl of warm water
4. A sharp long knife
5. Damp kitchen paper towel