Shallow Fried Fish Tempura With Two Sauces
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dark sesame oil||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Oriental Variety)|
|Ginger slices||2 , minced (Quarter Size)|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Plain low fat yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pickle relish||3 Tablespoon|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cod fillets/Grouper fillet||1 Pound (Cut Into 1 1/2-Inch Chunks)|
1. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes, and 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper. Set the ginger-soy sauce aside.
2. In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, pickle relish, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Refrigerate the tartar sauce until serving time.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, salt, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. In a small bowl, beat the egg with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and beat to blend.
4. In a small saucepan, warm the oil until it shimmers but is not smoking.
5. Meanwhile, dip the fish in the batter. When the oil is hot, add the fish in batches, without crowding, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning the fish over once or twice as it cooks. Remove the fish chunks with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels. Keep the fish warm in a low oven while you cook the remaining batches.
6. Serve the fish with the sauces on the side.