Teriyaki Steak Sandwich Platter
|Soy sauce||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef flank steak||1 1⁄2 Pound, fat trimmed (1 Piece)|
|Portabella mushroom caps||3⁄4 Pound, drained, rinsed (About 4 Inch Wide, 4 Pieces)|
|Romaine lettuce head||1 Pound, rinsed and crisped (1 Piece)|
|Firm ripe tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, rinsed, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick (1 / More Colors)|
|English cucumber||2⁄3 Pound, rinsed and sliced 1/4 inch thick (1 Piece)|
|Crumbled blue cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Balsamic vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Pocket breads||8 (6 Inch Wide)|
1. In a 1-gallon heavy plastic food bag, combine soy sauce, salad oil, sugar, sherry, ginger, and garlic. Rinse flank steak, add to bag, seal, and set in a bowl. Chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day, occasionally turning bag over.
2. Lightly oil a barbecue grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or a gas grill on medium-high heat (you can hold your hand at grill level only 3 to 4 seconds). Lift steak from marinade and lay on grill. Coat each mushroom with marinade and lay, gills down, on grill; discard remaining marinade. Close lid on gas grill. After 5 minutes, turn meat and mushrooms over, and continue to cook until meat is done to your taste—5 to 7 minutes more for medium-rare (cut to center of thickest part to test)—and mushrooms are flexible, 5 to 7 minutes more.
3. Transfer steak and mushrooms to a cutting board. Let cool at least 10 minutes; or cover and chill meat and mushrooms up to 8 hours. Cut steak in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into slanting 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut mushrooms into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Save juices from meat and mushrooms.
4. Line a large platter with romaine leaves. Arrange steak in the center and surround with mushrooms, tomatoes, and cucumber. Scatter cheese over vegetables.
5. In a jar with a lid, or in a bowl, mix olive oil, vinegar, and any meat and mushroom juices.
6. Pour oil and vinegar dressing over vegetables. Cut pocket breads in half. To eat, fill pockets with meat and vegetables, adding salt and pepper to taste.