|Chicken thigh||300 Gram|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Ginger juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Potato starch||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||70 Gram, slice (quarter inch slices)|
|Carrot||20 Gram, slice (chop into strips)|
|Bell peppers||2 Medium (chop into rings)|
|Lettuce leaves||3 Medium (butter lettuce)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the sauce|
|Kombu||1 Medium, strips|
|Red chilli pepper||1⁄2 Medium, slice|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For the garnish|
|White sesame seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon, toasted|
1. Using kitchen scissors, shred the kombu finely into juliennes.
2. Cut the red chilli in half, remove seeds and cut into rings.
3. Cut the onions into ¼” slices, and separate the layers, grate the ginger.
4. Cut the carrots in ¼” slices and chop into strips, cut the bell peppers into rings leaving the thick end.
5. Make cuts in chicken thigh with help of tip of the knife and cut in to 8 pieces.
6. In a bowl, place the chicken, soy sauce, sake and grated ginger juice. mix well and set aside.
7. In a small saucepan, heat water, kelp, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and salt, stir and bring to boil.
8. As the sauce boils, turn off the heat and transfer the sauce into a large bowl and add chilli pepper.
9. In a pan, heat the ¼ teaspoon of oil and stir fry onion and carrots for 1 ½ minutes or until the vegetable are soft.
10. Add the wilted vegetables and bell peppers in nanban vinegar sauce, mix well and set aside.
11. Between 2 layers of kitchen paper, place the chicken and press lightly to dry.
12. Roll the chicken in potato starch, to coat well.
13. In a pan, heat remaining oil to 340 F and fry the chicken for 5 minutes, turning the chicken at regular interval.
14. Drain the chicken on the kitchen towel.
15. Place the hot chicken, in nanban sauce, and stir to mix.
16. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetable and place on serving plate, with butter lettuce leaves.
17. Spoon little sauce on top, sprinkle the sesame seeds and serve hot.
Calories 1353 Calories from Fat 1075
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 121 g186.9%
Saturated Fat 16.5 g82.5%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 124.5 mg41.5%
Sodium 1027.5 mg42.8%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.4%
Sugars 17.4 g
Protein 33 g65.2%
Vitamin A 69.7% Vitamin C 222.9%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 14.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet