Oriental Futomaki Sushi & California Roll
|For futomaki sushi|
|Anago||1 (1 premade, Kabayaki - salt-water eel barbecued with a sauce)|
|Shiitake fukumeni||4 (watch our "How to Make Nabeyaki Udon Noodles")|
|Shrimp||2 3⁄4 Ounce (8 Shrimps, 80g)|
|Beni shoga||1⁄3 Ounce (10 g, pickled ginger)|
|Toasted nori sheets||2 (20x19cm/7.87x7.48 in)|
|For atsuyaki tamago (rolled omelet)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Mustard greens||1 Tablespoon|
|Shoga amazuzuke||1 Tablespoon|
|For california roll|
|Toasted white sesame seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Toasted nori sheets||1 (10x19cm/3.94x7.48 in)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (Avocados easily turn brown...you can prevent it by sprinkling on some lemon juice.)|
|For sushi rice|
|Rice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (300ml)|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (300ml, the same amount of the rice)|
|Kombu||4 Inch (5x5cm, Dashi, dried kombu kelp)|
|For awasezu (sushi vinegar)|
|Vinegar||1 3⁄4 Fluid Ounce (50 ml)|
|For tezu (vinegar water)|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Fluid Ounce (50ml)|
1. Cut the ends of the cucumber and slice it vertically into half, then slice it to get 4 vertical strips.
2. Cut the avocado vertically around the seed. Twist and split it inti half. Slice it into quarter and remove the seed.
3. Peel the avocado and slice into thin slices.
4. Slice the shiitake mushrooms into fine strips.
5. Cut the barbecued salt water eel lengthwise.
6. Break 2 eggs, add sugar and salt and beat the mixture thoroughly.
7. Grease a heating pan and check if the surface is hot enough.
8. Pour 1/3 of the egg mixture and quickly spread it over the surface.
9. When the egg is half done, gather it at one end and quickly grease the pan again.
10. Pour another 1/3 of the egg mixture. Spread it under the 1st layer of the omelette.
11. When it is half done, roll roll it towards yourself.
12. Repeat the same process to make the 3rd layer of the omelet.
13. Take a bamboo mat and flip the omelet over it.
14. Shape the omelet and let it cool down.
15. Remove the bamboo mat and cut into half inch sticks.
16. To make the sushi vinegar, add salt and sugar to measured vinegar. Stir to mix.
17. Pour 1/2 tsp sushi vinegar over pre boiled shrimp.
18. When the rice is steamed, remove the dashi kombi kelp.
19. Scrape off the rice with a paddle.
20. Transfer the rice into a bowl and add rest of the sushi vinegar.
21. Toss the rice to coat evenly.
22. Cover the sushi rice with a wet kitchen towel to keep it moist.
23. To make Futomaki sushi, Add water to the vinegar and stir.
24. Put the shiny side of the toasted nori on a bamboo mat.
25. Wet hands with vinegar water to prevent rice from sticking.
26. Cover the nori with a thin rice layer but leave a 1/2 inch margin at the end.
27. Put some rice over the edge of the nori, this will help to stick the edges while rolling.
28. Place the eel at the bottom leaving a little space.
29. Line up the shiitake mushroom and the shrimp.
30. Add the cucumber sticks and omelete sticks.
31. Carefully roll the mat while holding down the fillings.
32. When the front edge reaches the other side, tightly squeeze over the mat, shift the mat position, roll it till the end ad squeeze again.
33. Push in the fillings from both the ends.
34. Wet a knife and cut both the ends of futomaki.
35. Wipe the knife with a wet towel after every cut to prevent rice sticking to the blade.
36. Get 8 pieces of futomaki in total.
37. To make california rolls, wet hands with vinegar water.
38. Place a nori sheet on a mat, add rice and spread, sprinkle toasted sesame seed.
39. Place a plastic wrap over the rice and flip it over.
40. Place a cucumber stick on the nori sheet, line up the avocado and shrimp sticks.
41. Grab the mat while holding down the fillings and roll.
42. When the front end reaches the other end, tightly squeeze the roll.
43. Pull the edge of the plastic wrap and roll it again.
44. Remove the mat, and you are ready to cut the roll.
45. Wipe the knife with water and cut.
46. Wipe the knife with wet towel after each cut to prevent the rice from sticking.
47. You will get 6 pieces of California rolls.
48. Remove the plastic wrap and serve with futomaki sushi.
49. Garnish the sushi rolls with pickled ginger and mustard cream.
** How to cook Steamed Rice
Wash 300ml rice (1.27 u.s. cup) and drain the rice in a wire sieve. Put the rice in a rice cooker, and add 300ml water (1.27 u.s. cup), 1 tbsp sake and 5x5cm kombu kelp (2x2 in). Let the rice soak in the water for 30 minutes and turn on the rice cooker.