Chicken And Ham Jambalaya
|Broiler fryer chicken||1|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|Garlic clove||1 Large, crushed|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick Butter)|
|Cubed cooked ham||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 3⁄4 Pound (1 Can,1 Pound And 12 Ounces)|
|Green pepper||1 Large, halved, seeded and chopped|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Regular rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Place chicken in a large kettle or Dutch oven; add water, salt, pepper and bay leaf; bring to boiling; reduce heat; cover.
2. Simmer 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender; remove chicken from broth; reserve. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bones; cut into cubes; reserve.
3. Pour broth into a 2-cup measure; remove bay leaf; add water, if necessary, to make 2 cups; reserve.
4. Saute onion and garlic in butter or margarine until soft in same kettle; add ham, tomatoes, green pepper, thyme, cayenne and reserved chicken and broth. Bring to boiling; stir in rice; reduce heat; cover. Simmer, for cooking.
5. Serve in large bowls. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with crusty French bread, if you wish