1. Start by cutting the plums in halves, if you want whole fruit jam.
2. In a pan, place the fruit, and simmer it, then add sugar to the pan, keep stirring until the mixture dissolves
3. Finally boil quickly and continually until the mixture sets.
4. In a bowl, transfer the plum jam, and sprinkle sugar over the jam, leave it overnight
5. Serve with muffins, bagels, scones, or toast. You can use it as a filling in pies, or eat it with pancakes.
If the fruit is ripe, then don't use water, but if the fruit is under-ripe then add 2 tablespoons of water wile boiling