Strawberry Jim Jams
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1⁄2|
|Strawberry jam||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Sift flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt onto waxed paper.
2. Cream butter or margarine with granulated and brown sugars until light and fluffy in a large bowl; beat in egg and vanilla.
3. Stir in dry ingredients, half at a time, to make a stiff dough. Chill dough several hours, or until firm.
4. Roll out dough to a 15x12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Mix walnuts and jam in a small bowl; spread evenly over dough; roll up, jelly-roll fashion. (Be sure walnuts are chopped fine, or dough will crack when rolled.) Wrap in waxed paper and chill overnight.
5. When ready to bake, unwrap dough and slice into 1/4-inch slices with a sharp knife; place, 1 inch apart, on greased cookie sheets.
6. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove from cookie sheets at once; cool on wire racks.