Bacon pesto is a combination of bacon and pesto popularly used in the preparation of dishes like pasta, pizza, and chicken breasts. Usually classic Italian basil pesto sauce is used in the preparation of bacon and pesto based dishes; however, other kinds of pesto like scallion based pesto, pistachio based pesto, and parsley based pesto can also be used.
Types of Pesto Used in Bacon Pesto Recipes
- Basil pesto sauce- this is a classic Italian pesto sauce prepared by blending together basil, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Scallion pesto sauce- the recipe for this pesto sauce suggests processing together scallions, parsley, capers, and lemon zest in a food processor, before stirring in salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Pistachio pesto sauce- this pesto sauce is quite similar to basil pesto sauce, with the only difference lying in terms of nuts used to prepare the pesto. Pine nuts are substituted with pistachios to prepare this pesto sauce.
Popular Bacon and Pesto Based Dishes
A few popular dishes made with bacon and pesto as the essential ingredients have been discussed hereunder:
- Bacon pesto linguini- the recipe for this dish is quite simple, which suggests boiling linguini pasta, and then combining it with basil pesto, cream cheese, and bacon. The diced bacon is sautéed in some oil before it is combined with pesto, cream cheese, and bacon. A recipe variant suggests sautéing bacon with onions, and then combining the bacon and onions mix with other ingredients.
- Bacon-wrapped pesto and cheese stuffed chicken- this dish is prepared by seasoning chicken breasts with salt and pepper; spreading pistachio pesto over seasoned chicken breasts; topping each chicken breast with mozzarella cheese slice; rolling the chicken breasts and wrapping each one with bacon slice; securing them with toothpicks; and then baking them in oven after placing them on greased baking tray. The rolls are then cut into round slices and served along with green vegetables and Chardonnay wine (wine made with green skinned grapes).
- Flatbread with bacon and scallion pesto- the preparation process for this bacon pesto dish suggests first cooking bacon in a skillet and then cooking onions in the same skillet, along with remaining drippings in skillet. Thereafter, the sour cream mixture is prepared by combining together sour cream, lemon zest, pepper, and salt. The pizza dough is then rolled out in the form of a flatbread, and sour cream mix is spread over it. Thereafter, onions, bacon drippings (the material that has been left out in the skillet after cooking bacon and onions), and bacon are placed on the pizza crust or flatbread, which is then baked in oven after drizzling scallion pesto on top.
Bacon and Pesto Nutrition Facts
Bacon pesto based dishes are enriched with the nutrients of bacon and pesto, with one medium slice of fried bacon providing around 46 calories, obtained from 3.6 g of fat, 9 mg of cholesterol, 196 mg of sodium, 0.1 mg of carbohydrates, 3.1 g of protein, 0.9 mg of calcium, and 48 g of potassium; and classic Italian pesto being a rich source of fats, carbohydrates, and protein.