Italian Style Stuffed Peppers
|Red pepper||1 Large|
|Yellow pepper||1 Large|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|Mixed mushrooms||1 Pound, finely chopped (White button and brown criminy)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Ketchup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Mozzarella||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated (crumbled feta, divided)|
1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out seeds.
2. Preheat the oven at 400°F (200°C).
3. In large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
4. Sauté celery and onion for 1-2 minutes, or until softened.
5. Add mushrooms and sauté another 3-4 minutes or until starting to brown.
6. Turn off the heat and stir in the garlic, breadcrumbs, parmesan, ketchup, basil, oregano and half the mozzarella.
7. Spoon mixture into peppers and place in shallow baking pan or casserole.
8. Bake 15 –18 minutes in 400°F (200°C) oven or until peppers are tender.
9. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Return to oven 1-2 minutes just to melt cheese.
10. Serve this hot as a side dish to your main course.
Chop celery, onion and mushrooms in food processor to save time.
Add ½ cup chopped green or black olives.
Instead of baking the peppers, you can microwave by covering and cooking on high for 5-8 minutes or until softened and heated through.