Focaccia from Genoa ( Focaccia alla Genovese )
|Extra virgin olive oil||40 Milliliter|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a bowl combine water around 40 ml, malt or sugar and salt, stir well and then pour this mixer in a stand mixer bowl with the dough hook attachment.
2. Then add half of the flour and blend, you will get a liquid batter like consistency, now add the yeast and blend for few minutes.
3. After adding the yeast add the remaining flour and blend you will get a sticky dough consistency.
4. Sprinkle flour on the work top and give the dough a rectangular shape and place it in a baking pan which has been greased with 4 tbsp of oil, brush the top of the dough with the oil and let it rise at 86°F (30°C) for 60-90 minutes.
5. Once the dough is doubled in volume, check if all the oil has been absorb since the dough is doubled in size and this will cause the focaccia to stick to the bottom while cooking.
6. With your hands stretch the dough into the shape of the baking pan and sprinkle coarse salt and brush with oil on top. Let it rise again for at least half an hour until it increases in volume.
7. After 30 minute you can press the fingertips into the dough, this typical holes characterize the focaccia from Genoa. After that drizzle the remaining oil so that it fills the holes, a good amount of oil is the main characteristic of the focaccia from Genoa.
8. Let it rise again for 30 minutes more.
9. Preheat the oven at 390°F (200°C).
10. Baked in preheated oven for at least 15 minutes, before baking you need to sprinkle water all over the focaccia, you can use a vaporizer for this if you like. Doing this the focaccia will remain soft.
11. After taking it out of the oven put it on a grid, so that it will remain crispy.
12. Serve it along with your fresh bowl of salad.