Grandma's Cake (Torta della Nonna) - Italian
|For the shortcrust pastry|
|Powdered sugar||150 Gram|
|For the custard|
|Lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla pod||1 Medium|
|Whole milk||1 Liter|
|And for topping|
|Pine nuts||120 Gram|
|Powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a bowl combine powdered sugar, flour, and pinch of salt, then add the diced butter and 4 egg yolks mix well and form a smooth mixture.
2. Wrap with cling film and put in the fridge to rest for about 1 hour.
3. Grease a shallow 9-10 inches in diameter cake pan with butter and flour.
4. Preheat the oven at 350°F (180°C) before the rolling of the dough.
5. For the custard, in saucepan combine milk, zest of half a lemon, and the vanilla pod, ensure you reserve one glass on milk; bring the mixture almost to a boil.
6. In another bowl combine milk, yolks, flour and 1 ¼ cups (250 g) of sugar.
7. Check on the milk and once it reaches to a boil remove from heat and strain, then add the egg mixture to the strained milk mixture.
8. When the custard is thick enough, turn off the heat and place it in a shallow dish so that it cools faster or you can even place it in the fridge.
9. Roll the dough to a thickness of about ¼ inch (1/2 cm), cut a crcle and place it at the base of the cake pan, poke with a fork so that the dough doesn't puff up while baking, pour the cooled custard.
10. Roll another ¼ inch thick circle and place it on top of the cake pan this will be a lid cut off the extra dough from the edges and poke the surface with a fork to avoid the formation of air bubbles while baking, brush the surface with milk or water, sprinkle the pine nuts on top.
11. Bake the cake in a preheated oven for about 40-50 minutes, once the cake is ready sprinkle powdered sugar.
12. Serve a nice slice of the delicious grandma’s cake after hearty lunch.
Remember to keep the cake in the fridge or in a closed container.