Let's learn with Sonia how to make homemade bread sticks, one of the most popular Italian food products... it's so easy, you won't believe it!
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1. Combine water, yeast and malt into a small bowl and in a separate bowl add the remaining water dissolve salt and oil, keep aside.
2. Place the flour in the stand mixer bowl and beat add the yeast, malt and water mixture then add the salted water and the oil. Slowly fold in the ingredients and beat for at least 10 minutes, until you have elastic dough.
3. On a lined baking tray sprinkle some durum-wheat and place the flatten dough on top now brush the dough with oil and sprinkle some more semolina on top and let it rise for at least 1 hour: it should double or even triple in volume.
4. Preheat the oven at 390°F (200°C).
5. It’s time to shape the breadsticks, so take a wide knife and cut a strip of dough, about ½ inch (1 cm) wide take the strip and stretch it out on the baking sheet, when you have reached the desired length, break the dough with your hands.
6. A distinctive feature of these breadsticks is that, when you break the dough, you can't knead it again, so leave the pieces as they are and bake in the same way.
7. When the baking sheet is full, bake at 390°F (200°C) for about 18-20 minutes.
Breadsticks are ready and out of the oven nice and crispy.
8. Serve it with your hot soup of the day.
The oil seals the dough and prevents it from drying out while rising.
An idea to make your breadsticks more appealing is to brush with oil just before baking, and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.