|Italian bread loaf||1⁄2 Large, 1/2-inch cubes|
|Cherry tomatoes||2 Pint, halved lengthwise|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Large, peeled, 1/4-inch dice|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled, finely chopped|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh basil leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), torn into bite-size pieces|
|Cracked black pepper||To Taste|
|Mozzarella cheese||4 Ounce (Pearlini Mozzarella Cheese)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toast bread cubes, 12-15 minutes or until slightly browned, but still soft inside.
3. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and basil in large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Let set at room temp 1 hour.
5. Add pearlini and bread cubes to tomato mixture and toss to combine. Serve over escarole, watercress or arugula
Any type of tomato can be used as long as it's cut into bite-size pieces.
Make 1 hour ahead to let flavors meld together.
Great use for leftover bread.
If there are leftovers of the salad, whirl in a blender with more tomatoes, cucumbers and a bit of tomato juice for a fantastic soup--add garlic and herbs to taste, along with lemon or lime juice.
Calories 702 Calories from Fat 337
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g56.7%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 22.4 mg7.5%
Sodium 986 mg41.1%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g29%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 19 g37.1%
Vitamin A 59.9% Vitamin C 80.2%
Calcium 31.6% Iron 22%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet