Pizzoccheri - Italian recipe
|For the dough|
|Buckwheat flour||400 Gram|
|All purpose flour||100 Gram|
|For the sauce|
|Chard leaves/Savoy cabbage||250 Gram|
|Fontina cheese/Valtellina casera||250 Gram, grated|
|Grana/Parmesan cheese||150 Gram, grated|
|Potatoes||350 Gram, dice|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour & salt water then combine the ingredients; once blended, transfer to a work surface and knead, when you have a smooth and even dough, wrap in cling film and let it rest in a fresh place for at least half an hour.
2. Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes.
3. Take the chard, strip the leaves from the stem by making a v-cut, chop the leaves & cut the stems into sticks, about ½ inch (1 cm) wide, so they'll cook evenly.
4. Grate the casera (or fontina) cheese, and the grana (or parmesan) cheese and keep it aside until needed.
5. Heat an oven dish, or a baking pan, in the oven at 350°F, until nice and hot.
6. Take the dough and, on a floured surface, roll it out with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/10 inch (2-3 mm). Once the dough is the right thickness, cut into stripes, about 3 inches (7-8 cm) wide.
7. Now overlap the stripes, that have been dusted with flour to prevent sticking, and, with a knife, cut into ribbons, about ¼ inch (½ cm) wide.
8. Bring a large pot with salted water to a boil, drop in the potatoes and the chard. As soon as it returns to a boil add the pizzoccheri, they should cook for about 10 minutes.
9. Take a small pan, sauté the garlic in butter until golden brown, then turn off the heat, remove the garlic and set the butter aside to be used later for dressing.
10. When the pizzoccheri are cooked, turn off the heat, take the oven dish, that is hot and arrange the layers with a slotted spoon remove the pizzoccheri along with the chard and place on the bottom, then sprinkle plenty of grated cheese and repeat another layer.
11. Finish by sprinkling the grated cheese on top and finally drizzle the melted garlic butter.
12. Bake in the hot oven until the cheese has melted.
13. Serve the pizzoccheri hot. Buon Appetito everybody and enjoy.
Calories 720 Calories from Fat 320
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.9%
Saturated Fat 22.1 g110.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 104.2 mg34.7%
Sodium 798.8 mg33.3%
Total Carbohydrates 73 g24.3%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.3%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 33 g65.8%
Vitamin A 66.9% Vitamin C 40.4%
Calcium 29.3% Iron 26.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet