St. Joseph's Day Zeppole
|For the custard|
|Egg yolks||3 Medium|
|Lemon zest||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla pod||1 Medium|
|Maraschino cherries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Peanut oil||500 Milliliter|
1. Prepare a greased baking tray, place the parchment paper squares which are cut into (3-inch (8 cm) sides) on it so that they don’t slide around when you pipe out the dough at a later stage, Keep it aside until required.
2. Begin by making the custard: put the egg yolks and the sugar in a bowl, mix together well, add the flour and enough milk to blend everything. Put the remaining milk in a saucepan and bring almost to a boil: cut the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds and add the seeds and pod to the milk along with the lemon zest.
3. Turn off the heat and, after 10 minutes of cooling, pour the milk little by little through a fine sieve into the yolk, sugar and flour mixture; return everything to a low heat and leave it to thicken. Stir frequently.
4. Then remove from the heat and pour the custard into a wide, shallow container to cool, cover the custard with cling film and keep in the fridge to cool quickly.
5. In another saucepan start making the zeppole dough - first add the butter and water, once the water begins to simmer and the butter is melted, turn off the heat and add all of the flour at one time, stirring quickly. Mix it well until it forms a ball.
6. Now turn the heat back on and let the dough dry for a few minutes; you'll notice a white film forming on the bottom of the pan, this means the dough is dry enough, so turn off the heat, turn out the dough into a bowl and leave it to cool.
7. Once the dough has cooled, add the sugar and the grated lemon zest, then the eggs one at a time, stirring constantly; make sure to incorporate each egg completely before adding the next. Continue until you've added all the eggs and then you're ready for the next step.
8. Put the dough in a pastry bag with a star-shaped tip; since we'll be forming the zeppole. Take the prepared baking tray start to pipe out the dough. Now form circles with a diameter of about 2 inches (5 cm) and then pipe a ring onto the edge so as to form a little bowl, start in the centre of the square and then form the top ring.
9. And now it's time to fry them - Heat oil in a large pan, to 350°F (180°C. Pick up a paper square, and drop it into the hot oil. You can fry about 3 zeppole at a time don't add more than that or the temperature will drop too quickly. You can take out the paper more or less instantly. Use a pair of tongs and fry until golden brown. Remove and drain and continue to fry the remaining.
10. Once the zeppole are fried and cooled, all that's left is to fill them with the cool custard. Using a pastry bag start to fill the zeppole with the custard.
11. Top each one with a maraschino cherry or sour cherry in syrup. The final touch is a sprinkling of vanilla powdered sugar and our saint Joseph's Day zeppole are ready to serve.
Enjoy the saint Joseph's Day zeppole on the occasion of fathers day.
Calories 435 Calories from Fat 349
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.7%
Saturated Fat 8.9 g44.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85.9 mg28.6%
Sodium 21.2 mg0.9%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.48 g1.9%
Sugars 8.8 g
Protein 3 g6.8%
Vitamin A 4.4% Vitamin C 0.36%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 4.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet