Wegmans Executive Chef Scott Bova shows you how to make this traditional Italian sandwich that you'll have to try to believe! You will be getting out your panini maker again and again to make this panini. It is delicious and different - and perfect with a salad for weeknights or an easy weekend dinner.
Hot pepper spread
1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (Italian Classics)
3 Tablespoon (Wegmans Classic)
Italian bread slices
6 Large, 1/2 inch thick (Garlic Tuscan Bread, center slices)
1⁄2 Pound, thinly sliced (about 30 slices)
Organic baby arugula
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
Provolone cheese slices
3 (Italian Classics)
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine hot pepper spread and mayo in small bowl. Evenly spread each slice of bread with this mayo mixture.
2. Top 3 slices of bread each with about 10 slices of porchetta, 1/4 cup arugula, and 1 slice of cheese. Close sandwiches, pressing down lightly.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in large skillet on medium until oil shimmers lightly.
4. Add 2 paninis to the pan and press with spatula to flatten. Turn over when bottom slices turn golden brown, about 4 minutes.
5. Cook another 3-4 minutes, pressing occasionally with spatula to flatten, until second sides are golden brown.
6. Add remaining oil to skillet. Cook remaining paninis, per step 4-5.
7. Cut into triangles and serve immediately. If serving as a meal, accompany with a fresh salad on the side.
Use loaf ends for croutons or breadcrumbs.
Enjoy this sandwich on our Pane Italian for a lower-sodium option.