Wegmans Tuscan Lasagna
|Red onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), peeled, cut into pieces (1 medium)|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), peeled (1 large)|
|Celery||2 Cup (32 tbs), dice|
|Pancetta||4 Ounce, dice|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Crushed red pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||1 Pinch, grated|
|For spice mix|
|Garam masala||3 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground pork||3⁄4 Pound|
|Lean ground beef||3⁄4 Pound (80% lean)|
|Prosciutto||4 Ounce, dice|
|Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Seasoned tomato sauce||24 Ounce|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Cracked black pepper||To Taste|
|Lasagna noodles||12 1⁄2 Ounce (prepared per pkg directions)|
|Cheese sauce||24 Ounce (Italian Classics Parmesan Cream Sauce)|
|Parmigiano-reggiano||6 Tablespoon, grated|
|Cracked black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
1. Make soffritto: Process onion, carrot, celery, and pancetta in food processor until very fine. Set aside.
2. Make spice blend: Combine garam masala, 1 tsp nutmeg, cinnamon, and curry powder in small container. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom and sides of a (9 3/4 x 14 1/16 x 3 3/4-inch) pan with nonstick cooking spray
4. To make meat ragu - heat oil in large stockpot on medium. Add soffrito, red pepper, and pinch of nutmeg. Cook, stirring often, about 10 minutes until water from veggies has evaporated and color has deepened.
5. Add ground pork, ground beef, and prosciutto to soffritto. Raise heat to high and cook, stirring constantly, until meat is cooked and crumbled to small pieces.
6. Add red wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, 10-12 minutes until wine has completely evaporated. Then add tomato sauce, water, and 2 tsp of prepared spice blend. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
7. Cover partially, reduce heat to low. Cook 15 minutes. This is a double batch of finished ragu. Use half in this recipe and freeze the other half for another pasta meal.
8. Spread bottom of pan with 1 cup meat ragu.
9. Arrange two lasagna sheets in pan in a single layer. Trim to fit bottom of pan without overlapping or going up sides or corners of pan.
10. Top with 3/4 cup meat ragu, completely covering noodles. Drizzle with 3/4 cup Parmesan cream sauce. Top with 1 1/2 Tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano and cracked black pepper to taste.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 twice.
12. Repeat step 9. one final time, then top with 1 1/2 cups meat ragu. Drizzle with remainder of parmesan cream sauce. Top with 1 1/2 Tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano and cracked black pepper.
13. Cover pan with foil.
14. Bake 50 min. Remove from oven, remove foil. Return to oven and bake 15 minutes.
15. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
16. Cut into serving size portions and plate. Accompany with a tossed arugula or escarole salad on the side.
There will be leftover spice blend; store in tightly covered, airtight container for future use.
Lasagna is better if made a day or two ahead, allowing flavors to meld. Remove from oven after baking 50 min; keep covered. Allow to cool enough to be refrigerated. Day of serving, bring to room temp. Uncover and bake 20-25 min in 350 degree oven.
Freeze leftover Ragu for another Tuscan Lasagna or serve with Italian Classics Paccheri Rigati.
This lasagna will not be tall like traditional lasagna. It's compact and flavorful. Trimmed pasta can be placed in center of pan, if room, as you build lasagna. It's important not to overlap.
Calories 490 Calories from Fat 236
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.3%
Saturated Fat 7.9 g39.4%
Trans Fat 1.9 g
Cholesterol 55.2 mg18.4%
Sodium 1285.9 mg53.6%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.6%
Sugars 7.6 g
Protein 23 g45.8%
Vitamin A 30.3% Vitamin C 7.7%
Calcium 16.9% Iron 9.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet