When hot weather hits, there's nothing better than a super-refreshing lemon granita... very easy to make, no ice cream maker required!
2 Cup (32 tbs)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)
1. Pour the water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil; now add the sugar and let it dissolve completely, then turn off the heat and let it cool.
2. Squeeze 2 cups (500 ml) of juice from the lemons and strain it. Now add the lemon juice to the cooled sugar syrup and give it a stir, pour the resulting mixture into a plastic or stainless steel container. Now place in the freezer for at least 30-40 minutes, until ice crystals begin to form.
3. After 30 minute take the mixture out of the freezer and break them up with a fork, repeat this step for several times until you get the desired texture; of course, the more you do this, the finer the texture will be. Now return it to the freezer for half an hour.
4. After half an hour, take the mixture out of the freezer and scrape the ice with a fork, now return the mixture to the freezer.
5. And here's our super-refreshing lemon granite.
6. You can serve the lemon granite chilled as a slush.
Use organic lemons or, even better, Sorrento lemons, as they are less sour than regular lemons.
As a delicious variation, add a shot of vodka, gin or your favourite liqueur, to the mixture, but make sure it's colourless.
This method is for those who don't have an ice cream maker and work by hand, but if you do have one, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and turn it off when it reaches the desired texture.