|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon (for cooking)|
|Baguette||1⁄2 Large, cut into large cubes|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), mince|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Cracked black pepper||To Taste|
|Champagne vinegar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (use a good quliaty one, for dressing)|
|English cucumber||1⁄2 Large, cut into large dice|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Large, seeded and cut into large dice|
|Orange bell pepper/Yellow pepper||1⁄2 Large, seeded and cut into large dice|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Tomato||1 Large, seeded and cut into large dice|
|Fresh basil leaves||15 Medium, torn into small pieces|
|Feta cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), crumbled|
1. Heat a sauté pan with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add cubed bread and toast about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Once the bread is golden on all sides, transfer to a sheet pan or large plate to cool.
2. To make dressing in medium bowl combine garlic, mustard, vinegar, a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper and whisk to incorporate all the ingredients. Then slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in a steady stream while whisking; this will emulsify the dressing.
3. In a large salad bowl, add all the vegetables, basil, capers, feta cheese, and the toasted bread.
4. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss to mix well.
5. The salad can be served immediately or let it sit for up to 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. This can be served as an appetizer or even as a side dish.
Don’t use bread that’s more than two days old because as the bread dries up, it will become very difficult to cut.
When you have leftover bread, cut it up into chunks before it gets rock-hard, and store in an airtight plastic bag until you are ready to make your salad. Heat up some olive oil, toast the bread, chop the vegetables and enjoy this fresh and simple summer dish>
Panzanella is meant to be rustic so don’t worry about cutting everything uniformly.
Calories 869 Calories from Fat 589
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g102.6%
Saturated Fat 18.4 g91.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.7 mg22.2%
Sodium 1558.9 mg65%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.5%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 19 g37.5%
Vitamin A 70.6% Vitamin C 165.7%
Calcium 50.2% Iron 10.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet