|For the sauce|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), thinly sliced|
|Carrot||1 Medium, shredded finely|
|Tomatoes||56 Ounce, canned (Two 28 oz cans used)|
|Fresh thyme||3 Tablespoon|
|Salt||To Taste (For seasoning the sauce)|
|Eggplants||2 Large, cut in rounds (aubergines, sliced into ½ inch rounds)|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (For brushing on the eggplant slices)|
|Panko breadcrumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic powder||1 Pinch|
|Parsley||1 Pinch, dry|
|Mozzarella cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Parmigiano reggiano||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
1. Take 6 quart saucepan on medium heat with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Add a medium diced onion and about 6 cloves of thinly sliced garlic and cook for about 8 minutes until the onions are soft.
2. Once the onions are done add the shredded carrot. Continue to cook that for another 5 minutes until the carrots are soft.
3. When the carrots are done add about 56 ounces of tomatoes (two 28 ounce cans used here in this recipe video) and about 3 tablespoons of fresh thyme. Stir and bring it to a boil and let it simmer for about 30 minutes till the mixture reduces and becomes a sauce. If you like your sauce rustic and chunky you can leave it the way it is, or if you prefer it to be smooth you can hit it with a hand blender or a potato masher.
4. Season with some salt and the sauce is ready to use.
5. Generously salt the sliced eggplants on both sides. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes to draw out the excess moisture. After 30 minutes dry out the excess moisture with a towel, and brush with olive oil. Grill them on medium heat until they have a nice color on them and then set them aside.
6. In a small skillet add about 2 tablespoons of butter and about 1/2 a cup of panko breadcrumbs. Add a pinch each of garlic powder and dry parsley and toss until lightly toasted. When that's done set it aside.
7. Take a casserole dish or an individual serving crock, assemble this dish by starting with a layer of sauce on the bottom followed by a slice of eggplant, some more sauce and some shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat this a couple of times till you reach the top of the serving crock. Finish the last layer of mozzarella with some parmigiana, and some of the toasted panko breadcrumbs.
8. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven until golden brown and bubbly.
9. Serve warm.
The prepared tomatoes red sauce can be stored in a closed container in the refrigerator for a week and in the freezer for up to 6 months.
2. Single serving crocks - 6