Vegan Eggplant Rollatini With Grilled Tomato Sauce
|Raw cashews||1 Cup (16 tbs) (soaked for a few hours if possible - For Eggplant)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm) (3 cloves garlic minced for Tomato Sauce remaining for egg plant)|
|Thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For Eggplant)|
|Oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For Eggplant)|
|Nutritional yeast||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (For Eggplant)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Eggplant)|
|Celtic salt||1 Teaspoon (1/4 tsp. for Tomato Sauce remaining for egg plant)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (1/4 tsp. for Tomato Sauce remaining for egg plant)|
|Eggplant||1 Pound (sliced lengthwise ¼” thick - for Tomato Sauce)|
|Tomatoes||1 Pound (sliced crosswise ½” thick - for Tomato Sauce)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon (1 tbsp. for brushing and remaining for Tomato Sauce)|
|Fresh basil leaves||5 Tablespoon (1 tbsp. for garnish and remaining for Tomato Sauce)|
1. For Eggplant – In a food processor mix the cashews, garlic, nutritional yeast, oregano and thyme. Process adding as much water as you need to form a paste.
2. Season with Celtic salt and pepper.
3. Preheat the grill. Brush the tomatoes with olive oil. Grill until tender and lightly charred about 2 minutes per side.
4. Transfer tomatoes to a blender and puree a few seconds until smooth.
5. For Eggplant – Turn on your grill to medium. Peel the eggplant and slice lengthwise.
6. Brush the eggplant with olive oil and grill over medium heat turning once until tender and lightly charred, 3 minutes per side.
7. Place the eggplant on a cutting board and season with Celtic salt and pepper.
8. Spoon the cashew “cheese” onto one end of each eggplant slice.
9. Roll into a tight log. Cover with plastic wrap.
10. For Tomato Sauce - Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Add garlic sauté on low heat until garlic is softened.
11. Add pureed tomatoes. Simmer until sauce is thickened for about 8 minutes.
12. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in basil.
13. Onto a plate, spoon warm tomato sauce. Place eggplants on top in a pinwheel design. Garnish with whole basil leaves.
Soak the cashews as it makes them more digestible but you can make this without the soaking too.