1) Roughly chop garlic and shallot.
2) Chop vegetables into large chunks.
3) To a large pot, add olive oil and keep on medium heat.
4) Stir in garlic and shallot.
5) To the garlic and shallot, add Italian sausage and brown.
6) Once the sausage has browned, add the chopped vegetables and combine.
7) Add chopped potato and mix.
8) Cover and allow to reduce for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
9) After an hour, stir in basil and oregano.
10) Add sugar and mix.
11) Serve hot garnished with grated Parmesan cheese. Accompany with a crusty and hearty bread.