Fresh Panzanella Salad
|Olive oil||10 Tablespoon, divided (2 tablespoon for bread cubes and remaining for dressing)|
|French loaf bread||1 Large, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided (1 teaspoon for bread and 1/2 teaspoon for dressing)|
|Ripe firm tomatoes||3 Medium, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Yellow bell pepper||1 Medium, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Cucumber||1 Medium, sliced 1/2-inch thick|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Large, thinly sliced|
|Fresh basil||1 Bunch (100 gm), coarsely chopped|
|For the vinaigrette|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, minced (For the Vinaigrette)|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For the Vinaigrette)|
|Raspberry vinegar||3 Tablespoon (For the Vinaigrette, or any othe flavoured vinegar of your choice)|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (For the Vinaigrette)|
1. In a pan, heat olive oil until it just starts to smoke, add in the bread cubes and salt, and sauté for about 10 minutes or until bread cubes are golden brown in color.
2. In a large serving bowl, place the bread cubes, add in tomatoes, both the bell peppers, cucumber, red onions, basil and capers.
3. Using a spoon toss all the ingredients until well mixed, set aside.
4. In a bowl, put together, garlic, raspberry vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk until well blended.
5. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss and stir well, to coat bread and vegetables with dressing.
6. Serve the salad as desired.
Champagne vinegar also goes well for the dressing, instead of raspberry vinegar, or you can use any other vinegar of your choice,
Add or remove any vegetable of your choice.
Serve immediately once the dressing is added, don’t let the salad rest for too long.
Add in more salt and pepper depending on taste.
Calories 325 Calories from Fat 131
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.5%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 541.5 mg22.6%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 9 g17.5%
Vitamin A 21.2% Vitamin C 69.6%
Calcium 6.5% Iron 17.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet