Join Toby in adding more plant-based dishes to your diet, starting with this recipe for eggplant lasagna from our friend Dr. Janet Brill's book "Cholesterol Down." Dr. Janet's eggplant lasagna is the featured dish on our weekly menu beginning Monday, January 16, 2012.
Canned whole peeedl tomatoes
28 Ounce, undrained, coarsely chopped
Canned tomato paste
8 Ounce, sliced
4 Clove (20 gm), minced
Extra virgin olive oil
Fresh basil leaves
1 Cup (16 tbs), torn and stems removed ((about 3/4 of an ounce))
Whole wheat lasagna noodles
8 Ounce, cooked as directed
Part skimmed mozzarella cheese
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded
Cooking oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large lasagne pan, spray vegetable cooking oil.
3. Cut ends of the eggplant and cut lengthwise into ½ inch slices.
4. Sprinkle salt on each side of eggplant slice and keep aside in a colander for 15 min.
5. In a large skillet, heat ½ tablespoon olive oil and sauté mushroom and garlic over medium high heat until mushrooms are well browned and water has evaporated.
6. Remove from pan and set aside.
7. In the same pan, heat olive oil and fry eggplant slices in batches until eggplant are soft and browned on both sides.
8. In a separate bowl, mix together canned tomato, fresh tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar; set aside.
9. Line the bottom of the baking dish with 3 lasagna noodles followed by half of the eggplant, half of the mushroom, half of basil leaves, 1/3rd of mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the tomato sauce.
10. Cover with 3 noodles, remaining eggplant, mushrooms, basil, another 1/3rd of mozzarella cheese and 1/3rd of the tomato sauce.
11. Cover with remaining noodles, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
12. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
13. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving.