Classic Italian Casserole
|Italian sausage||1 Pound (hot or sweet)|
|Broccoli rabe||1 Bunch (100 gm), cleaned, broken into big florets|
|Garlic clove||3 Medium, minced|
|Dry pasta||12 Ounce, cooked (cook one minute less as per package instrcutions)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs) (use low fat)|
|Corn starch||2 Tablespoon|
|Pecorino romano cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Italian seasoning||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
1. For the breadcrumb topping, mix the topping ingredients together and set it aside.
2. To make the béchamel sauce, in a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat, melt the butter then add the cornstarch and stir until smooth. Continue stirring for about 3 to 4 minutes or until it just starts to turn golden and add the milk.
3. Continue stirring as you bring the mixture up to a boil, then lower the heat and stir continuously for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to a consistency that will coat the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese, nutmeg, cayenne and salt and pepper then set it aside.
5. In a large nonstick skillet crumble and brown the sausage and drain off any excess grease. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute then add the broccoli rabe with some salt and pepper and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add the cooked pasta and béchamel and stir to combine.
7. Transfer the mixture into a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish and broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are crispy and brown. Keep an eye on it since everyone’s oven is different. And then it’s ready to serve.
8. Serve hot
Calories 932 Calories from Fat 460
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g77.8%
Saturated Fat 20 g100.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 122.5 mg40.8%
Sodium 1613.9 mg67.2%
Total Carbohydrates 82 g27.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 35 g70.1%
Vitamin A 33.3% Vitamin C 10.6%
Calcium 25.5% Iron 21.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet