Using the traditional pestle and mortar, the Sauceress makes traditional Ligurian Pesto with Pecorino cheese
Fresh basil leaves
1 Bunch (100 gm) (Washed, Spin-Dried And Patted In Tea Towel, Coarsely Torn, Not Cut, If Your Mortar Is Small)
1 Clove (5 gm)
1 1⁄2 Pinch
Grated pecorino sardo cheese
Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
2 Tablespoon, can be toasted if you wish
Extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1) Take a mortar and add garlic and salt into it.
2) Pound until garlic is crushed, then add basil leaves and nuts and pound again until a smooth.
3) Fold in the cheeses slowly and continue to smooth the mixture.
4) Stir in oil and mix until consistency is thick but pourable.
6) Pesto sauce can be eaten with a number of dishes like pastas and salads.
If you want to store the sauce, put a thin layer of olive oil on the surface of the sauce. It will present oxidizing.