Pesto Sauce in Mortar
|Fresh basil leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm) (Washed, Spin-Dried And Patted In Tea Towel, Coarsely Torn, Not Cut, If Your Mortar Is Small)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Pinch|
|Grated pecorino sardo cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Pine nuts||2 Tablespoon, can be toasted if you wish|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Take a mortar and add garlic and salt into it.
2) Pound until garlic is crushed, then add basil leaves and nuts and pound again until a smooth.
3) Fold in the cheeses slowly and continue to smooth the mixture.
4) Stir in oil and mix until consistency is thick but pourable.
6) Pesto sauce can be eaten with a number of dishes like pastas and salads.
If you want to store the sauce, put a thin layer of olive oil on the surface of the sauce. It will present oxidizing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1402 Calories from Fat 1273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 141 g217.6%
Saturated Fat 17.8 g89.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.6 mg13.5%
Sodium 903.4 mg37.6%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.3%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 22 g44.4%
Vitamin A 105.7% Vitamin C 33%
Calcium 35% Iron 27.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet