How to prepare Spaghetti Carbonara, a quick pasta dish with a cream sauce and panchetta. Demonstrated by professional cooking instructor and former caterer Betty Bannerman Busciglio.
4 Ounce, chopped
2 Ounce, grated (or locatelli, parmesan or combination of both)
2 , beaten
2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and smashed
1 Teaspoon, coarsely ground
1. Place a large saucepan of water on to boil. Add in the spaghetti and cook according to package instruction.
2. Meanwhile in a pan fry the pancetta on low heat until starting to brown.
3. Add in the garlic and cook until the garlic is browned and the pancetta is golden and crisp.
4. In a small bowl add in eggs and 3/4th of pecorino cheese. Mix well with the spoon.
5. Remove the garlic from the pan and add in the butter. When butter gets melt add in the spaghetti with the tongs.
6. Take off the pan from the heat and add in the egg mixture. Stir continuously and place the pan over the heat again.
7. Pour in quarter cup of pasta water to the spaghetti. Incorporate all the ingredients well.
8. Garnish the pasta with remaining cheese and black pepper. Serve hot!
If the dish does get a little dry before serving, splash in some more hot pasta water and the glossy sauciness will be revived.
Like many old recipes, this dish has a number of stories connected with it. Some say it was a favorite of the charcoal makers and some give credit to coal miners. Whoever invented it deserves a medal! It is another one of these great pasta dishes that can be put together while the water comes to a boil. If you plan ahead and keep some Parmegiano Reggiano cheese in the refrigerator, and pancetta in your freezer (I buy several ¼" thick slices at a time, usually each slice weighs about 2 oz., chop them and package them in 2 oz. quantities in plastic bags) you always have the ingredients for a delicious meal on hand. Add a Caesar Salad and no one would guess you hadn't planned this for days!
If you love authentic recipes, you might want to see this video recipe of Spaghetti Carbonara with Pancetta. It shows the simple authentic way of preparing this world famous sauce with spaghetti pasta. Try it out, you will love it!