|Fresh spinach||2 Pound|
|Onions||2 Medium, minced|
|Mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Milk/Chicken stock||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground basil||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Small bread cubes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon, melted|
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a shallow casserole.
2) Wash the spinach and pat them dry.
3) In a saucepan, add in the dry spinach. Cook them over a medium flame for about 4 minutes.
4) Drain the spinach leaves, pressing the leaves hard against the strainer to remove all extra water.
5) Transfer the spinach to the casserole.
6) In a frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add in the onions and mushrooms. Saute the vegetables over a high heat for about 4 minutes, while stirring constantly.
7) Next, stir in the flour. Stir to mix well.
8) Pour in the milk or chicken stock. Cook, while stirring, to get a smooth and creamy mixture.
9) Sprinkle basil, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix well.
10) Spoon the mixture onto the spinach in the casserole.
11) Mix the bread cubes and melted butter. Arrange the cubes neatly in the casserole.
12) Bake the casserole for about 25 minutes.
13) Serve the Mushrooms Verona garnished with grated cheese and a sprinkling of parsley leaves.